Saturday, August 30, 2008

Still Got It?

Thursday night I made it out for 8 miles on Forbidden Drive. Felt good. 61 minutes.

Friday

I took advantage of a day off and got out for a longer run. My goal was to run 90 minutes at whatever pace my body felt like doing. I started easy and warmed into the run on a couple miles of trails. This eventually led me to the top of Forbidden Drive at Northwestern Avenue. I decided to run all the way to the other end at Lincoln Drive and then home, should give me a little over 90 minutes.

I was really feeling good, cruising along at a pace somewhere around 7:05-7:15. I made it to Lincoln Drive, 8 miles in, still with a lot of pep in my legs so I decided to see what I could do and picked things up to a pace I felt I could hold in a half marathon. You lose touch with your fitness after about a month off and I didn't know how things would go.

I was very surprised and happy that I was able to run the next three miles in the 6:15-6:20 range without pushing to hard. If felt a little easier than tempo pace. Maybe the mountain bike rides kept me in better running shape than I thought they would. This bodes well for PDR. I don't if I can run that pace for 13 miles but at least now it feels like a slight possibility.

12.5 miles in 91 minutes.

1 comment:

jim said...

nice one. I'm going to try the 90-minute experiment next weekend. I don't expect any of the miles to start with 6 though ;)