Friday, June 03, 2011

The weather in Seattle is finally matching the brochure. Endless blue skies, warm sun, light breezes and low humidity. Today I was itching to get out of work for a run home. I can't really change the majority of my route home but the section that cuts throughout the Magnolia neighborhood of Seattle allows me to mix up the route a bit as long as I don't mind adding a little distance and hitting the hills. The whole of Magnolia sits on a 350 ft high penisular plateau with the Puget sound to the west, the Ballard canal to north and the river like set of train tracks to the east. The middle of the plateau is scooped out, leaving hillsides facing each other across a flat mid-section. The train tracks make it sound industrial but they are way down the hill. It is an extremely residential area with beautiful homes, quiet streets and for many, stunning views.

I attacked from the west on a killer climb which I took extremely slow. I topped the ridge and kept heading north towards the canal. I had peekaboo views of both the cascades and the Olympics completely unobstructed by any clouds. I could definitely get used to this. Eventually ended up on 31st street and that lead me to the foot bridge across the railroad track and to the locks. The locks were bumping with tourists and I gave up any hope of running across them due to the crowds. Took a breather and looked for some migrating salmon on the fish ladder. The little migration chart told me it was early but by July there should be fish aplenty. Maybe I can jump in like a bear and paw away until I nab one mid-air. Sushi for dinner.

After the locks it was the usual hill up to my house which I am all to familiar with. 98% of the run was into a stiff headwind but on a beautiful day who cares. I am running home from work in the time it used to take me to drive home, I should be happy in wind, rain, hail, sleet and anything else thrown at me. 6.8 miles untimed.

Baby update: still no baby

No comments: