Saturday, June 02, 2007

Arthritis 5K

Before the race report I want to log in my run from Friday evening.

I skipped my run Thursday night because I wasn't feeling well and woke up Friday feeling much better, not 100% but not really sick. Friday night I ran easy to Valley Green on Forbidden drive and finally felt like I had recovered from that trail run on Monday. I won't be doing that again anytime soon, it really put me on my ass. 8 miles in 58 minutes.

This morning I got up early and drove to Collegeville, a small town about 25 miles northwest of Philadelphia. The company I work for has a huge arthritis drug on the market and, this being a run for arthritis, sponsored any employee who wanted to run.

It was humid, the weather billboard on the way up read 72 degrees and 95% humidity. I got to the race 1/2 hour before the start and warmed up for about a mile, that was plenty as I was dripping with sweat after only that short distance. I had heard that this race didn't bring out to much competition and that sub 6:00 could win it. It is a somewhat hilly course but I went in thinking I had a shot.

About 200 people lined up and off we went. There really wasn't any rabbits in the first mile and after a few quick turns early on I found myself in 4th place. There were to quick looking guys about 20 meters ahead, then a co-worker, Lee, who I train with on occasion, then me. The first mile was slightly downhill and at Lee's urging I tucked in behind him and quickly got into a groove, feeling good. The first mile went by in 5:38 but the downhill helped me out and the pace seemed just right.

I moved into third and I could see the guy in second slowing somewhat, I passed him on an uphill and then he passed me, back and forth a little until I was able to pull away for good before the second mile mark. The course was rolling up and down some hills nothing to steep but on a 5K they can really make you work.

First place was well out of reach, and I concentrated on holding 2nd as I went by mile 2 in 6:01. I was beginning to feel the heat and the hills. The remainder of the race I tried to push as hard as possible all the while keeping an eye on the guy behind me. With about 1/4 mile to go I knew I had second place, barring a catastrophe, and crossed the line in 18:32 Nowhere near a PR but I felt like it was a decent time for a challenging course on a hot morning. Just squeeked under 6:00 pace.

I was happy to finish second even though it wasn't my fastest time and was rewarded with a crisp $50 dollar bill. My first time making any money in a race. Not something that is going to happen often but damn it was nice to walk away with a real prize.

Many people in my company also placed well in the age groups and we easily beat another large pharma company that was a big sponsor. Overall, a very good morning and a nice way to start the weekend.

2 comments:

ian said...

Nice race, and a paycheck! Aren't you glad you didn't retire?

Anonymous said...

Good for you, John, you make me proud - big bucks!!!