Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I work with a guy who was running during the late 70's and early 80's. We sometimes get into conversations about the sport. He pulled me into his office today to show me a tray he received for completing the 1978 NYC Marathon, his first. It had been stuffed in his attic and he happened upon it a couple weeks ago. A small, dark blue, tin tray with the marathon route traced in red against an outline of NYC in white. From what I know the route looks very close to what it is today. It is in almost perfect conditon.

He also mentioned that he got Doc Sheehan to speak at his last job to a packed auditorium. Apparently he knew Doc through a friend. Interesting stuff.

I should find out about my own NYC marathon sometime this month. I am waiting to see if I got into the race through the lottery. I have my fingers crossed.

Now on to my boring running. Two runs that were nearly identical.

Monday night, 6 miles with Heather on Forbidden Drive. My legs felt heavy and I was content to let Heather dictate an easy pace. I almost asked her to slow down a couple. I didn't feel horrible, my legs just weren't turning over to quickly. 6 miles in 48 minutes

This morning I went out for 5 miles on Forbidden Drive. My legs were asleep for the for the first mile or so but once I got warmed up the pace dropped down to the 7:30's. 5 miles in 39 minutes.

No comments: