Wednesday, March 04, 2009

It’s been all easy runs since my long run on Saturday.

Sunday was a short recovery run that felt like a recovery run. As expected my legs were beat up, not in an injured way but in a fatigued way. I decided to shelf the shoes I used for the long run until marathon day and start a new pair. I am not normally into good luck charms or anything like that but maybe I can rekindle some of the good mojo that came with Saturday’s run when I lace them up on race day. Plus those sneakers have just over 100 miles on them, broken in but not broken up. 4.2 miles 36 minutes.

Monday the East coast got hit with a late season snowstorm. It made my decision to take the day off even easier. March snows are usually known for their brevity as teh days that follow warm up and melt everything away. Unfortunately that was not the case this time and the weather since the storm has felt more like mid January than early March with temps in 20’s or lower.

Tuesdays’ freezing morning temps made me push off the run until the evening. I wanted to run eight but after the first four miles with Heather I was cold and not in the mood for four more so I called it a day. It is funny how quickly the realization that you are tapering can sap some of your determination. 4.4 miles in 41 minutes.

I didn’t have the option to push my run this morning because of a midterm in the evening so I bundled up and went out. It was cold but thankfully the lack of wind took out the bite. I download a podcast about running called Phedippidations. From a single listen I found that it is performed, produced and distributed by some runner from New England named Steve who thought it would be a good idea. So here I am running, listening to a guy named Steve talk about tapering for a marathon while he is running. I swear our breathing fell into unison at a few points. It’s mix of running info, running inspiration and descriptions of his runs. Probably not something I’ll listen to on every run but it did get me more serious about tapering properly.
7.2 cold, snowy, icy miles in 56 minutes. I can’t wait for the 60 degree weather they are forecasting for the weekend.

No comments: