Sunday, May 24, 2009

I'm back form Key West and strangely the weather here is almost exactly the same as it was there. I hoped to get in a few runs but only managed two hot and sweaty trips on the island. Was I training my legs or my sweat glands? The runs consisted of beaches, palm trees, scooters and sunburn. 60 minutes and 45 minutes. Heather also found this beautiful outdoor lap pool which I spent a couple hours in. If I had a pool like that close to home I'd be swimming 2 times a week during the summer.

Key West was great. I only knew it as a party island and Heather and I aren't really partying much these days. Of course there was fishing, (caught a mackerel which we grilled and had for dinner), snorkeling, sitting on my ass by the pool, and walking and bike riding all over the island. We were in full relax mode. We even managed a quick peek into the Everglades on the drive back to Miami. Now it is back to reality.

I made it into the park for an hour on the trails last night. Not a great run. I felt slow and out of shape. I am blaming it on the heat and short sleep Saturday night. I think the truth is that I am slow and out of shape. At least relative to last year this time.

I start a 6 week summer statistics class this week that I have been dreading since last summer. Conveniently the professor has to miss two weeks of class right in the middle of the semester (which really burns me). Now we can squeeze a full semester into 4 weeks. I imagine this is going to put a real crimp on any running plans so I'll just take June running as it comes to me.

No comments: