Thursday, May 22, 2008

In-Laws and Running Logs

The in-law visit over a long weekend was a success despite the periods of rain that seemed to pop up everyday. I was also able to get a couple good runs and a swim in as well.

The whole family went for a nearly 7 mile walk up and down Forbidden Drive. Heather's folks were amazed that we had such a park in the middle of a huge city and I again counted myself lucky to live a couple blocks from the Wissahickon. After the walk I retraced a similar route by myself on a run. Generally easy pace and a mix of trails and Forbidden Drive. A little over 8 miles in a little over an hour. Felt great.

On Monday I ran another trail route through the park through periods of rain. Just a mile in I gave my left ankle a nasty twist. An initial sharp pain and brief walk and I seemed back to normal, I didn't even think about it the rest of the run. And a great run it was. Not real fast but a brisk pace. The pace I imagine Lydiard is talking about in his program when he says run comfortably hard. It was a run where you have the disconnect between what your legs are doing and what the lungs are doing. Sometimes you feel like your lungs are working harder than your pace but this time I felt like my legs were out-pacing my lungs. A good feeling to have.

After relaxing a bit when I got home the bottom of the foot I twisted tightened up and was causing some pain. I iced a couple times that evening and the following day it was still really tight. There were no runs but a lot of walking and it loosened up once I was on my feet for a while. A good sign.

On Wednesday the pain and stiffness were completely gone and my initial fears of a lasting injury evaporated. In fact, I made it out the door for close to 10 miles on Forbidden Drive with no foot pain before or after.

On another note. I had been using the Nike online running log since the Coolrunning.com log went kaput in mid-December. Well guess what, Nike's is having problems now too. Instead of waiting for these problems to resolve , I transferred all of my runs to this spectacular spreadsheet I found online. It tracks all runs, totals everything for the Week, Month, Year, and lifetime. It also keeps 3o day and 7 day averages for mileage.

With this tool I can see that I didn't break 200 miles for any single month this year but I was averaging over 200 miles/30days in late February and early March. You can also put in a mileage goal for the year and it will show you how far off you are from hitting that goal. I popped in 2000 miles for the year and yesterday I was 2.8 miles short of my goal. Today I am 8.3 miles short, looks like I need to put in a few miles tonight.

No comments: