Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Running Thoughts

Broad Street really got my running juices flowing. So later that day I stopped by Borders and picked up the latest addition of Running Times. Whenever you are lacking motivation to run, pick up one of these magazines. The articles about training and about how the pros train just get your mind going about what you could do and how fast you are going to become. Suddenly 70 miles a week for the next 10 weeks doesn't seem so daunting. Getting up at 5:00 in the morning to run seems like it should be a piece of cake. Running in the full heat and humidity of a Philly summer... bring it on.

It would be nice if I could put this frame of mind on hold, maybe as drink or as spray and use it when that alarm goes off at 5:30 in the morning, or when heading out the door for a 12 miler just doesn't seem like a good idea, or when it is 90 and humid and no matter how many times you tell yourself it is so much cooler running in the Wissahickon Park, it just doesn't help.

My mind has been wandering to the fall and if there are any races out there for me. For some reason I am reluctant to commit to a marathon but I know I won't train properly if I don't have a goal. Part of me wants to just set the Philly Distance run as a goal and if training and that race go well then just pick a marathon in late October and go for it. The other half of me is wondering why I am being such a bitch and just not committing to a marathon in the fall. Make the time to train during school in the fall and make it work.

I'll kick this around in my head over the next few weeks but in the meantime I am just going to shoot for a lot of easy miles in the park. Maybe race a few times.

This week..

Monday - Recovery run with Heather. 4-5 miles untimed but at a very very easy pace.

Tuesday - just under 8 miles in 61 minutes. My legs, especially my quads, were still sore from Broad Street but today I feel good.

1 comment:

ryandavid said...

Hey man, when you get around to inventing that drink make sure to let me in on the recipe. Broad St had about the same effect for me in terms of running juices.