Monday, April 13, 2009

Back to work on Monday morning on what promises to be a long week both at work and at home. It's doubtful that I'll to log to many miles this week. Hopefully I can sneak in a couple runs in the morning. I can't wait until this semester is over.

Over the weekend I was able to put in a few miles. On Friday evening Heather and I took Boomer into a very muddy Wissahickon Park for a trip up and down Forbidden Drive. Despite the growing baby Heather is still making it out for runs and I am impressed. We ran five miles which included some walk breaks and some pee breaks. For Boomer, not for us. The dog has to stop and investigate nearly every puddle, if only to dip his snout into it for a seconds. You can imagine how many puddles are in the park after all the rain we have had lately. 5 miles in 60 minutes.

Sunday was trip by myself into the park on the trails and on Forbidden Drive. I had Marah's "Kid's in Philly" album on the iPod and for whatever reason my running and that album often connect for a great run. Sunny, breezy, 48 degrees a perfect morning for a run. I pushed the pace on the trails which included some light steps crossing a couple streams on exposed rocks and a jumps from the top of boulders back to the trails. Fun.

After 40 minutes I was on Forbidden Drive for the trip home. At Valley Green I mixed in some drills. I call the first drill "Park Benches". This involves standing in front of a park bench lifting the right leg, stepping on the bench, bringing up my left leg standing on the bench for a second and then stepping back down. Repeat 20 times alternating the leg you start with, take a break and then do it again. I continued on my way to home to the bottom of Rex.

Here there are a couple picnic benches right next to each other which made for a great spot for the next drill I'll call "Picnic Benches" From a stand still do a two legged jump onto the first bench, then bounce up to the table, jump off the table onto the bench on the other side and then jump to the ground. Jump onto the bench on the next table and up and over in the same fashion. Go back forth 4 times, rest and repeat. This drill was much more a of a workout then the last and had me gasping by the end of each set.

After this I recovered by walking half-way up the hill at Rex Avenue and then ran the rest of the way home. About 9.5 miles in 86 minutes. 34 miles for the week in 5 workouts with a trip to the gym on Monday morning.

No comments: