Saturday, April 18, 2009

Run for Clean Air 5K

I arrived at the race to find the truck that delivered the race tents pulling away belching clouds of blue tinged oily exhaust, what a fitting way to start the run for clean air. It was probably the warmest morning of the year so far with temps into upper 50s at 8:00 am. I was there early for the 9:00 start but I like to get there early to chat with runners I haven't seen in a long while and it leaves me plenty of time to warm up.

The warm-up was 2.5 miles with a few pickups for 200 yards or so and a little stretching on the run. I felt decent but I wasn't sure what kind of shape I was in for a 5K. I like to forecast my race time to the second just to see how close I can get. Today I guessed 18:12.

I was on a team consisting of a couple Kevins, a Steve or two and Rick. Apparently we were defending the Philly Runners 1st place finish from the last 4 or 5 years. Before the race I really wasn't in the mood to race I had an odd indifference about the whole thing. I don't think this really effected my finish, maybe I could have shaved a couple seconds with a more mental fortitude.

Anyhow, the gun went off, the rabbits went out and settled in to what felt like the right pace. Mile 1 went by in 5:44 and I was well back from the leaders with about 20 - 30 people ahead. 5:44 felt good and I didn't feel like I had hit the gas to hard to start. I spent half of mile 2 trying to catch the small pack in front of me and tucked in just before the turn around when the small pack got strung out with me at the back.

Along this stretch I just tried to hold my own. Mile 2 went by in 6:04. I felt as if I was running a consistent pace but evidently not.

Over the last mile I was dueling with another guy from "Students Run Philly Style". He received never ending support from the student racers heading out on the loop. He soundly whooped my butt with a half mile to go as he pulled away and I had no answer. I had my guard up for any surging runners behind me in the last 200 meters as we crossed the Schuylkill river but luckily I was on my own. Third mile in 6:03 and finish in 18:29. I had missed my race predicted race time but I didn't put to much thought into it.

I wanted to run more mile so I jogged right over to the Saturday morning Philly runner group and ran the loop with some folks I haven't seen in a while. I really have to make more of an effort to keep connected with the group. My isolated runs out in Chestnut Hill are scenic but I do miss taking a spin around the drives with a crew.

As for the Philly Runners Team. I think we lost our perennial crown and finished in second place but I'll have to wait for the results to pop up to be sure.

14 miles for the day. The biggest day since the marathon and it felt great.

No comments: