Monday, February 07, 2011

Out for a quick run at lunch in some quickly changing weather due to a phenomenon that happens here quite frequently called the convergence zone.

When winds are blowing in from the Pacific ocean towards Seattle they hit the Olympic Mountains to are west and our forced to wrap around, like a river split by a small island. The two streams of air wrap around the mountains and smash into each other on the other side.


The winds are forced upwards when they collide and this wrings out the moisture like a squeezed sponge, causing rain. This rain can sometimes setup over one area for hours or can drift north and south. The precipitation caused by the convergence zone is generally to the north of where I live, but right over where I work.

If conditions are just right it can cause a very localized snow. The heavy rain drags cold air down from the upper atmosphere and 38 degrees quickly drops below 32. This happened in early January. I left for work on perfectly clear roads with no rain or snow, as I neared work a light rain started falling. Half mile from work there was snow and I pulled into a parking lot covered by a few inches. For a weather geek like myself this was ridiculously cool.

Pressed for time so a hard run around my corporate complex. 26 minutes.

No comments: