Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Swim and a Run

Up to the gym on Monday night for a swim. I walked into the pool area and all three lanes had two people. Two people is about the limit in a 25 meter pool so the only thing you can do is wait until someone decides to leave. I then noticed that there were 4 other people waiting to use the pool. Damn, I should have gone for a run... maybe I should just turn around now and retreat to my sneakers and the sidewalk, which never has a line.

I decided to wait it out and was rewarded when 3 of the guys waiting in line left and two pool slots quickly opened. I was soon in the pool and swimming easy laps. I am at the point now where I don't have to concentrate on my form and my mind can wander while I make my way up and down the pool.

10 easy laps and then 10, 50m intervals at 45 secs apiece with 30 second breaks. I used to break my ass to swim these in 50 seconds but now I just push hard to swim in 45. By no means fast but still fast for me. This was followed by about 8 more easy laps and in 30 minutes I was done. A good swim.

Tuesday night I went to the group. It was cold and fairly calm and I was feeling fast. My plan was an easyish first mile and then tempo pace for the last 4. There was a large group in attendance but it looked like I would be by myself for most of the run.

The first mile went by in 6:50 and I felt great. I slowly started to pick it up and was surprised to come through the second mile in 6:15. I kept pushing through the turn around and mile 3 in 6:00 flat. I had to double check my watch a couple times to be sure I read that right. I knew 6:00 pace was not going to last another two miles and I backed off a little for a 6:12 in mile 4. I backed off a little more and finished up with a 6:25 final mile.

A faster night than I expected and I hadn't pushed myself to hard. I cooled down with a few trips up and around the Art Museum steps, wishing I could put in a few more easy miles. 5 miles in 31:40.

No comments: