Saturday, April 12, 2008

Run the Rox 5K

A short easy run with Heather last night. It was a trip to "The Bridge" and back. The bridge is crosses the Wissahickon Creek down the path from Mt. Airy Avenue. This bridge was 3 miles from my old house and it is also 3 miles from my new place. So a run to the bridge is 6 miles. 54 minutes.


I received an e-mail on Friday about a 5K in Roxborough on Saturday morning called Run the Rox. The start is about 4 miles from my place and it fit perfectly into about an 11 mile run with the trip there and back. Got out the door around 8 for an easy 4 miles there.

It race was about as hilly as 5K course can be on the street. It started on a hill, then turns onto a long downhill, then you make a right onto a hill, turn around up a small hill, then downhill, then a small uphill, left, big uphill, right, downhill, left uphill and finish. Here is the course. Having run this area for several years I knew exactly what I was in for.

The first half was mostly downhill and the second half mostly uphill so I decided to start easy and save it for the second half. The race started with a lot of rabbits and I was in about 20th place after a 1/4 mile. Were on steep long downhill and I took it easy slowly passing runners that had started to quickly. I could see Tom Haxton, local speedster, way out in front and then a string of runners from the Philadelphia University Cross Country team.

There were no mile markers and I only glanced at my watch at the turnaround 1.5 miles in, 8:50. I was keeping a decent pace but not really killing myself. I passed a couple more runners on the return and found myself a long way by myself as we headed back up the long hill to the finish. I was slowly catching the guy in front of me but thought he was out of reach. I realized as we ran up the final uphill stretch that he had nothing left and I probably could have caught him had I pushed a little harder but by that point it was to late. I finished in just under 18:50. A decent time considering the course. I think I could have shaved about 10 secs off had been a little more motivated but I was happy with the time.

4 more miles home and I was done. A beautiful morning and a fun race.

No comments: