Friday, April 11, 2008

Trail Addiciton

I think the trails in the Wissahickon are becoming an addiction but one that I surely don't mind. On Wednesday I was back in there on my bike looking to push myself a little harder than my first ride this season last week. The trails were dry and my legs were fresher making for a faster and longer ride. My improvement in running over the past few years seems to have carried into mountain biking. If my cardiovascular system has improved it makes sense that it would have an effect here too, maybe not as directly an improvement but still better.

In fact, I seemed to have less trouble pushing up some steep, more technical hills than I can remember in the past. It is strange but I feel like I am already on par with how I rode in the past after just two rides. 16 miles with about 10 of them on the trail.

On Thursday night I met Russ for a run through the park. Russ was a steady Philly Runner a couple years back and I haven't seen much of him since until bumping into him on a run in December. I found out that he also was moving to Chestnut Hill and would be looking for a running partner.

Russ, Zeke, (his dog) and I ran around 6 miles in the park on some very hilly terrain. It was great to catch up and I look forward to more runs in the future. After our run I did a few more miles by myself. On the last hill out of the park my legs were aching, all the hills over the last few days were catching up with me. 9 miles in 75 minutes.

No comments: