Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Trail Running with Boomer

Half the fun of running on the trails in the Wissahickon is trying to figure out how they all connect. I've read that the park contains 57 miles of trails but it only follows the creek for about 6 miles so this means there are little dirt paths running everywhere. I completed a little more of the overall trail map in my head last night on a 5 miler with my dog, Boomer.

Boomer has really become a great dog to run with. I don't think I'd take him anymore than about five-six miles at this point but he runs well. Keeping about five feet in front of me at all times and leading the way on the tight paths, never really straying. I think the higher speed keeps his mind focused and he isn't tempted by simple distractions such as horse manure, deer pee, and puddles of water. However, if we do cross another dog he can't resist running over and showing all of his attention.

5+ miles in 45 minutes.

No comments: