Friday, September 19, 2008

It's been awhile since my last post, 11 days to be exact and I wish I could say I had some exciting runs which totaled many miles between then and now.... but I don't. This is the first time in a long time that I have not recorded my runs and mileage on a daily basis in some kind of log. I haven't even opened my log up since late July. Memory is notoriously lousy at recalling runs especially over an 11 day period but I'll highlight one that sticks out.

Last Thursday I joined Lee for a longish run in the park. Lee is in training for the Philadelphia Marathon. He completed an Ironman about one year ago but this is his first shot at a marathon. He is just hitting that sweet spot in marathon training where the higher mileage is starting to pay off in more than just tired legs and you surprise yourself during workouts. We ran 10 miles through the park on a mix of Forbidden Drive and trails. I don't get out there much with other runners anymore and it was fun to shoot the shit about many topics while time quickly passed.

I turned off to finish the last couple miles on my own and my thoughts drifted back to Philly Runners group runs and "Thursday Nights" when we'd have anywhere from 2-10 people running anywhere from easy to break-neck pace. Sadly, after nearly two years of hardly ever missing a Thursday the crew started to break up due to marriage, moves, injuries, life. In that moment I was really missing those nights, those runs and those friends. But, things move on and so does my running. It just doesn't move along quite as quickly at the moment.

I got on here to not to talk about all my runs over the last couple weeks but to talk about a race coming up on Sunday. The Philly Distance Run. This was my very first race 10 years ago. Back then it started on Market Street and now, just like nearly all races in Philly, it starts on the Parkway. Back then I was nervous of the unknown and now I am nervous about my loss of fitness over the past two months. My PR at this race is 1:30 so I should easily break that, the only question is by how much. I'll be happy to get under 1:25 but I really don't know if that is possibility, I'll find out in two days. I hope to see some of the Thursday Night Crew at the race as well. Good Luck.

1 comment:

ian said...

Oh man, I miss those Thursday nights too. One of the best feelings in the world is not being able to run straight because of laughing, and I haven't had that happen since I left Philly.
Anyway, good luck at PDR.