Monday, December 15, 2008

I wrapped last week with a 14 miler on Friday night, and two easy 5 milers on Saturday and Sunday.

I was dreading the longish run Friday night and the first half lived up to my dread. My left headphone finally bit the dust about 8 minutes into the run and at the very beginning of my favorite solo on the Kind of Blue Album. For the remainder of the run John Coltrane sounded like he was playing in the far corner of gymnasium.

I didn't feel like I had any kind of rhythm and decided that I better shoot for a long out and back because any loop run would tempt me to cut it short. I decided to run to my old house and back. At least 12-13 miles and then I could add one or two on. An hour into the run everything started to click and the pace began to drop until I was in marathon pace range. I kept this going for the last 4-5 miles and felt great. 14 miles in 1:40.

Saturday an easy, early 5 miles with Boomer in the Park, 40 minutes. Sunday an easy late run by myself around CH 5 miles 40 minutes. 45 miles for the week. I was looking for 55 miles but with finals last week and a trip to NYC last weekend I am happy that I could get to 45.

This morning I was out and running only 9 hours after I finished Sunday evening's run. No headphones to distract me, I had my thoughts and my running to keep me company. I decided to do a progression run and started off things very easy as I slowly warmed up. At about 3 miles I'd say I was at my normal pace, by 5 miles I was at fast normal, then marathon pace, then tempo pace, and for the last bit I was sub 5K. I left 1/2 mile for cool down. 8.8 miles in 64 minutes.

Things are going well.

No comments: