Thursday, July 09, 2009

Only 4 days have passed and I am already writing another blog post, maybe I really am back on this running things.

So far this week I ran an easy 5 after work with a few people that are just getting into running. We ran 3 miles somewhere around 9:30 - 10:00 pace and then I added a couple more on my own. I don't think I sped up that much.

Tuesday I took the dog for a run. I was planning on running through the golf course and back on to the street but the sun was setting the grass was green and soft and on the course I can leave him off the leash. I decided to stay and run loops of the perimeter and throw in some strides to get the legs moving a little faster. When I'm running slowly Boomer is glued to the grass evidently it contains some intoxicating smells. As soon as I started a stride he was glued to my leg and constantly looking up at me as if egging me on. "Is this all you got?" Maybe I should bring him to the track. About 4 miles in 30 minutes.

Last night I ran my normal winter Chestnut Hill loop under a setting sun. The early summer weather has been nearly perfect in Philly. Low 80's, low humidity and perfect for running. I know this can't last all summer, muggy must be ready to pounce, but I'll take it while I can get it. 7.5 miles in 59 minutes.

I think I've settled on a training plan for the half-marathon. It is Runner's World advanced plan. The mileage looks good (40-50/week) but it does involve a lot of specific workouts. I am normally horrible at following a training plan and if were setting odds I wouldn't bet on myself to stick with this one. Of course this is no way to get yourself motivated to stick to a plan but it's realistic. I am going to to make an effort to hit the workouts although I may have to transition some of the them off of the oval and onto Forbidden Drive. It feels odd having only a 9 week program but it is half the distance of the marathon so maybe half the time to train makes sense?

No comments: