Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Running is still going well. I had streak of 15 day streak of running, biking or swimming which ended yesterday. I don’t have a record of these things but it’s been a long while since I’ve gone 15 days in a row.

I’ll catch up on last week…

Monday - 1200M in the pool with Heather. No specific workout but back and forth using different strokes and the kick board.

Tuesday – I actually made it down to the Philly Runners Tuesday night group run. I got there a little early and put in 21 minutes on a sunny and warm but not so humid evening. I bumped into Devon at the start and he was planning on 6 x 1/2mile with a ¼ mile recovery with a few others at 6:00-6:10 pace. My plan for the night was to mix in some faster stuff and this was great, in fact I felt it was a little ambitious.

I quickly fell into pace with Emily who is from San Diego but in town for school. She ran for UCSD and like me is training for the Philly Distance Run. We started the first interval and I hit what seemed like 6:10 pace, Emily started to pull away so I thought I might as well go with it.

- ½ mile in 2:59 and I as was working.
- Second interval 2:59 but this felt easier despite a persistent head wind.
- Third interval 2:57 and now it was time to turn around and get the wind at our backs.
- Fourth 2:52. We had the wind and the downhill at the Columbia Bridge helping us here.
- Fifth 2:56
- Sixth – There is no half mile split on the way back to the Art museum so we just ran 3 minutes and called it good.

Overall it was a great workout that buoyed me in my aspirations to break 1:23 at PDR. This workout also made me long for more evenings with the Philly Runners; I never would have done this on my own.

Wednesday 6.3 Recovery miles in the Wissahickon. 52 minutes

Thursday 10.5 hard miles on my Mountain Bike.

Friday 3.6 very easy miles on the trails.

Saturday 12.4 mile up and down the length of Forbidden Drive. I felt good and picked up the pace in the middle miles to just below 7:00.

Sunday 3.6 mile on the same trail loop as Friday.

34 miles for the week plus a hard bike ride and an easy swim.

No comments: