Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Finally a beautiful morning for a run, clear sky, cool, lower humidity, I was excited to get to the track for my weekly workout. The fact that I was looking forward to the workout is a big jump forward for me. The plan called for 4x1200 at 10K(6:00) pace with 200 recovery followed by 6x400 at 5K (5:47)pace with a 100 recovery. This workout would have scared me 6 weeks ago but now I didn’t think it was going to be so bad.

As usual the track was locked so I hopped the fence. A woman jogged up and asked how I got in there; I then helped her hop the fence. The workout went like this.

1200s: 4:28 (67), 4:30 (63), 4:27 (71), 4:29 (81).

400s: 86(47), 83(61), 80(67), 84(50), 90 (47)(accidentally ran the interval to long), 86 and done.

The third 400 was quick because I was interrupted by the guy who unlocks the gate to the track. He wasn’t happy I was on there.

“Why do you think you can run on the track this early?”

“Because the sign behind you reads Requires use during daylight hours so I thought it was open from dawn till dusk.”

“It opens at 7:30”

“Sorry”

And I was back on my way. Seriously they should post the hours. Obviously I hopped a locked fence but I assumed that whoever was supposed to unlock the gate was late. Also the sign reads use is required during daylight hours. To me that means someone must be using the track while the sun is up and I guess use is optional when the sun is down. Looks like this might be my last morning workout on the track because 7:30 is way too late for me to start.

On the brightside the workout went really well and I felt great all the way through. I do have a hard time running 100 recoveries. The turns are longer than 100 meters and the straights seem to short. I just ran until the time elapsed and then looked for a marker to accurately split the lap. 7.5 miles in 53 minutes

No comments: