Sunday, August 02, 2009

Wow, is raining out there. I was hammered with rain halfway through my planned 14 miles today. Forbidden Drive was temporarily changed to Forbidden Creek. The plan called for a fast finish which means I have to run the final 15 minutes at 10k K pace. When I first read that it didn't sound to bad but while running I realized it meant 2.5 at nearly 6:00 pace after already having run 11.5. It suddenly sounded impossible.

I got to the 10.3 mile mark in 1:16 and the lightning started, somehow the rain increased and it was time for me to ratchet it down to 6:00 pace. Sure. I hit the first somewhat downhill half mile in 2:54, this was not sustainable. The mile went by in 6:08 and then I literally stopped and said "Fuck it." I continued on at an easier pace for the remainder of the run. The lightning became so intense that I was getting scared and ducked under a pavilion with about 7 other runners. Who else would be out in this?

It seemed to let up and I decided to cut the run a mile short while I was still alive and get the hell home. It was the right decision as the lightning is insane right now, enough to make nervous. 13 mile in 1:36.

I also ran an easy 6+ miles with some strides yesterday in 45.

No comments: