Sunday, August 09, 2009

I really wanted to run a 5K per the plan on Saturday morning and I spent a while hunting around on the internet but the closest race I could find was in Wilmington, DE. 1 hour from my house and starting at 8:45 am. I bounced the idea around but decided to skip it.

I instead headed for 5 miles with a some hard stuff mixed in on a sunny and warm nut not humid Saturday afternoon. I ran an easy mile into the park and then hit 1 mile of trail hard. It felt good, I felt fast, I felt like I should have driven to Wilmington in the morning. Who knows if the way this mile felt on the trail would have translated into anything fast on the race but I was curious. I ended up running about 2.5 miles near 6:00 pace in a run of 5 miles in 35 minutes.

This morning I hoped to be running by 8:00 but it was pouring. I delayed till 9:00, it was still raining but not so hard and I headed out. I'll take the cool rainy morning over the 90 degree heat expected later in the day. No headphones, just me and my thoughts as I ran an extended Chestnut Hill loop.

My mind wandered to a new baby boy that should join Heather and I very soon. We have less then 2 weeks until the Aug 21st due date. Me a father. I still feel very much like a kid in many ways but I would imagine most people do. Could my father have felt much more adult when he had me at 27, I doubt it. I've found a spectacular birth to 5K plan on the internet that should have him racing by nine months. I just wonder if I can supplement breast milk with gatorade.

No comments: