Friday, July 04, 2008

Picking Things Up

Wednesday night was my first tempo run of the training cycle. I lucked out with the weather, it was relatively cool and the humidity was solidly in the bearable range. Heather and I ran into the park together. Our plan was to run 2 miles easy and then I'd pick it up for 4 miles at tempo pace. I would turn around after 4 miles but Heather would turn around after 3 miles, putting her about 6-8 minutes ahead of me. My goal was to catch her before we got back to the house.

I was unsure of what low 6:00 pace during tempo was going to feel like so I decided to go out easy and adjust. For the first mile I was aiming for 6:25 or so. It came in at 6:05 and felt good so I just kept it up. The next 3 miles ticked off in the 6:05 - 6:10 range. I was keeping up the pace without pushing to hard, I could have kept it up for 1 or 2 more miles I am sure. I hope to build on this work out in the coming weeks getting up to 7 miles at tempo pace.

I didn't slow down to much after the 4 miles knowing Heather was up ahead somewhere. I eventually did catch her just over the crest of Rex Hill but she was walking and I'm sure she could have beaten me home if she really wanted too. 8 miles in 56 mintues.

I had off on Thursday and took advantage by getting up early and enjoying a relaxing morning before lacing them up for 11 miles. My legs were tight from the night before and I just took things easy. I did some exploring in Montgomery County looking for the "Green Ribbon Trail" that is supposed to take you to Fort Washington State Park but it just kind of ended at an intersection after a 1/2 mile and I'm not sure they have completed the next portion. So I just turned around for the cooler confines of the Wissahickon.

I could feel the fatigue setting in by the end of the run but all in all a good workout. 11 miles in 1:26.

No comments: