Sunday, July 06, 2008

Week 2

Howdy Folks. As usual I have fallen behind on posting so here is the week Fri - Sun.

I was happy to only have 5 miles planned for Friday. I kept things slow but felt good and jumped onto some trails to mix things up. Marathon training has kept me away from the trails but I think easy trail running is good for the legs and ankles, contrary to what one might think. It's a break from steady straight ahead pounding that you get running miles on the road. If I have tight calves or sore ankles they often feel better after several miles on the trail. 5.8 miles in 46 minutes.

Saturday was another long run with Seebo. This time around we had Deirdre join so the group of two has become a group of three. Hopefully we will pick up a few more as we move through the summer and closer to the fall marathons.

Seebo planned the route this week which included a trip onto an abandoned rail path for about 3/4 of a miles. I relaxed, enjoyed the run and the conversation and just followed the route. In the last few miles I was really dragging and was glad when we got back to Lloyd Hall to wrap things up. A total turn around from the way I felt at the end of last weeks run.

Why? I think it was due to more miles this week and poor sleep the night before. My body will adjust to the mileage over the next few weeks and I'll just have to sleep a little better the night before.

Sunday afternoon I went out for an easy 5 miles. I felt really good from the start and had to hold myself back to keep the pace easy. A good place to be. I ran a mix of trails and Forbidden Drive. The weather has been fairly cool, upper 70's, all weekend but so damn humid that even after a really easy 5 miles I am dripping with sweat. 5+ miles in 40 minutes.

For the week.

Mon - 10 + easy 1:15
Tues - 4+ easy 32
Wed - 8 with 4 miles at avg. 6:07 pace.
Thurs - 11.3 in 1:28
Fri - 5.8 in 46
Sat - 16 in 2:08
Sun - 5.1 in 40 minutes.

60 miles for the second week of training. So far things are going well.

No comments: