Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I took Monday off and headed up to the track today for a lunch workout under. Temps in upper 40’s, light wind and blue skies. Legs felt solid, no lingering fatigue from the increase in miles last week, I was optimistic for a strong workout. Nothing fancy or long just 4 X 800 (400). I wanted the 800s under 3:00 and the recovery at 2:00. Some of these laps involved dodging the middle school students that were warming up for a soccer practice but I don’t think it affected my times much.

1st– 2:54 (2:01). Felt good

2nd – 2:52.1 (2:05) Still smooth and relatively easy

3rd – 2:52.0 (2:06) Shaved an entire 10th of a second off but worked harder than a 10 th of a second.

4th – 2:50 was hoping for a sub 2:50 and may have gotten it if I pushed 100% but I was trying to hold back if only a little. This one was tough.

I think intervals in the 2:55+ range would have been more appropriate, these were slightly fast but I was encouraged by the pace of the workout. It seems I’ve been in the same 10 second range over the last 5 years. That could be discouraging but I am way down from the height of my running obsession in 2006-07 plus a few years older so I’m happy my times haven’t tailed off. A good day.

No comments: