Friday, April 29, 2011

A Trip Home

Haven't blogged much as I was visiting the family in Philly and although I had the time and the means I just didn't feel like blogging. I was able to run several times out there but didn't log anything so I am sure I've already forgotten something.

There was a 10 miler in Pennypack Park, my old running haunt. It has literally been 3 or more years since I've run in this park, the Wissahickon's ugly step brother. Not as big, not as pretty and the hills aren't as steep but I spent much of my youth fishing, biking, running, drinking and getting in trouble in this park. There was Kevin's broken leg on the rope swing and that time I got a huge hickey the day before Easter. Luckily my sister helped cover it up with some make-up so my grandmother was none the wiser.

The trails haven't changed much with the exception of snaking single track in one section of the park. I couldn't have mapped the run out when I started but it all came back to me as I made my way. It was sunny, yes sun, that big yellow ball in the sky. Have I mentioned that it is easily the coldest April in Seattle history, dating back to the turn of the 20th century. The heat and sun over the Easter weekend were a welcome site. Anyhow, couldn't slow myself down on this run so I just went with the pep in my legs and tore through the park.

I also ran the old loop around Lincoln high school a few times. And there was a hot run in the full sun in South Jersey. On Monday, Steve K (principal Steve) and Alex joined me for a run through Fairmount Park and dinner afterward at the Bishop's Collar. It was great seeing some of the old running crew in Philly. I miss those days when I didn't have so much responsibility and had time for running 3-4 days a week with buds from the Philly Runner group.

Today it was back to reality and a 4 mile run with Zach in the stroller. This time I decided to leave the dog home. You can only enjoy a run so much when you have a stroller in one hand a dog in the other.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Wish I could have run this loop with you. 50K is coming up soon. How's the terrain in that part of the city?