Thursday, April 07, 2011

With my departure from my current job in 1 week, finding time to run at lunch has gotten much easier. Yesterday I ran an easy 6.3 miles out to another corporate center. I was lucky enough to catch a lot of sun breaks and it warmed me on an otherwise chilly spring afternoon. Legs felt bouncy and light. 48 minutes. Today I took nearly the same route but added some tempo work. The first two miles are nearly flat on a path that follows the North Creek but the third mile has a significant hill. I tried to not push to hard and keep my effort consistent the entire way. I think it worked. I completed the section in 18:55 and guessed the distance at 3 miles. Gmap measured it out to exactly three miles. This is 6:18 pace. I'd be happy with that pace for the 15K next month. However, I know I could not have held that pace twice again today. Definitely for 40 minutes but 60 minutes seems on the edge. Based on this a decent goal for the race would be 3 - 5Ks at sub 19:00 pace, or under 57 minutes for the 15K. If I do get some solid training in over the next 6 weeks that goal might be a little soft but it'll work for now and give me some guidance on further workouts. After writing that last paragraph I looked up the equivalent race times for a 15K in 57 minutes. It translates into almost my exact PRs for the 5K and 10K and two minutes faster than my 1/2 marathon PR. Forget about the marathon my PR has always been way off scale for that (unfortunately way slower). This means 57 minutes is a stretch goal, especially given the relative paucity of running the past two years. 58 minutes is a much more realsitic yet still very difficult goal. We'll see how the training goes.

No comments: