Tuesday, October 17, 2006

By Jack Handy

I ran a little over 4 miles in a loop through Manayunk last night. This used to be a fairly common route for me but I haven't run it in months. These shorter runs end just as I have finally warmed up to them and I'd really like to keep going. I forgot to start my watch but I think it was about 32 minutes.

Ian, posted a comment about me going under 3 hours in a not to distant future marathon and it stirred up some thoughts that I was having before marathon training started.

Qualifying for Boston has been a goal of mine for the past couple years and hopefully Sunday I will achieve it but what then? The most logical would be sub 3:00 and then what? When do you say enough is enough? I guess that really depends on the person, what running means to them and also how much time they can devote to it.

I am counting my chickens before they are hatched but I think running may get put on the back burner for a long while after Chicago. I still plan on putting in miles every week and hopefully I'll be training over the winter for a marathon in April but I don't think I am going to have the same drive and determination.

I obviously don't know how things are going to be in a couple of months and I'll just have to deal with it as it comes. Putting running to the side may be a lot harder than just saying I'd like to do a little less of this. It is like an addiction and right now I'm hooked. I guess I'll just have to see what happens.

1 comment:

seebo said...

If you get a BQ (or even if you don't), I dare you to cut back on your running.

The monkey don't go away that easy.