Monday, October 30, 2006

Letting it Loose

I am so out of gym shape. I may be able to run my ass off for 3 hours but my body withers in the face of a few weights. I stopped in on Sunday, the gym was empty and I had high hopes. A light workout that would have been cake in the past has left me to damn achey today. Even my legs are sore. How does that happen when you are liftign with your arms? I have to make a little more commitment to this place even during heavy training. Once every two weeks is better than never for 9 months.

I went out for a run tonight through Manayunk. No plan, No route, No watch (that's a lie I have a very hard time running without a watch). It was run that had me pushing up hills and walking at the top, easy pace sometimes, and running up stairs at other times, weaving between poles and jumping over empty trash cans strewn about by our meticulous trashmen.

These type of runs have become a yearly occurence after a fall marathon. I don't think about running like this when I head out the door, it just happens. I think it is the break from routine and knowing this run really doesn't count. It's a freebie, like when the defense jumps offsides in football and the offense gets a free play. Running just to run and not beacuse I have to hit these splits or put in this many miles. I often wonder what people think when they see me running like this. Maybe it's "Look at that asshole" or "Damn that looks fun" or "Look at that asshole".

4.4 miles in 34 minutes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are terrific - keep running - I envy your commitment and determination - I wish I only had half - don't criticize yourself - be brave and face the world - you can do Boston and anything else you put your mind to -