Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Slow and Fast

I received my Chicago number in the mail this afternoon, 7013. I guess the 7 and the 13 kind of balance one another out so I shouldn't have anything to worry about. For me it more hammered home the fact that the race is less than two weeks away. Reading the race brochure that came along with it made me want to get the show on the road and run this damn thing. I guess memories do fade but I swear I am more excited and impatient for this marathon to get here than any in the past.

Also I found something very coincidental. After getting my number and looking over the info I pulled a few $20's out of my pocket and on one of them was written "Holy City Chicago" on the back side and "Bitch" with "Chicago" written around the borders on the front side all in red ink. What the hell is up with that. Again I am not superstitious but this one got me thinking... maybe I shouldn't spend it.

Anyhow, the running.

Monday was an easy 6 with Heather on Forbidden Drive in 48 minutes.

Tuesday, the group run with many of the regulars making an appearance. I had planned on going fast and making it my last fairly hard workout. The miles went as follows:

6:44 and feeling great,

6:46 and started to pick it up to catch up with Ian and Stevus,

6:16 I was really starting to feel it now but in a very controlled way,

6:21 lost a few seconds in this mile but still right where I wanted to be. I don't think fatigue had really slowed me down, maybe it was chatting it up with Ian who was graciously urging me on,

6:13 this last mile was quicker than expected because it was uphill and I really didn't feel like I was pushing.

Thought this might have been my fastest five with the group but surprisingly I found a slightly faster one last October and one in April of this year. This one might have been a little slower but looking back at my log I know I didn't have to work as hard to get it done.

Pretty much on cruise control from here on out.

No comments: