Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The calf problem I complained about in the last post progressively felt better over a couple days off and was just about non-existent when I drove to the Art Museum for the Tuesday night group run. I decided to take it easy on the run anyhow just to see how things felt.

The first couple miles were at 8:00 pace and all was good. I picked it up a bit after that to about 7:30 pace and I coould feel a little tightness in my calf but in a different spot than it had occured on Saturday. This however got worse during the run and I had really slowed down by the end. I wasn't in aching pain but I just didn't want to push it.

It is a little tender at this point and my hopes of just a passing problem have been dashed a bit after tonights run. So now I am unsure of what to do. Should I ice it and take it easy running or should I just totally take off from running for a few more days? I could chalk this week up as a total loss and just put in a few 5 miles runs but I was hoping for a 45-50 mile week.

My plan now is to take it day by day and stick to short runs near my house so I can stop and walk home if I feel anything. Damn.

5 comments:

ian said...

Even an amazing, vigorous workout is going to give you way less than a 1% improvement in fitness. But aggravating an injury could keep you off the start line.

The hay is already in the barn, man. Take it easy, take a couple days off, and, importantly, don't try and make the days up when you get back to it.

Be smart! You've worked so hard, and your body isn't going to forget it in a couple days.

Maybe get a sports massage?

seebo said...

I second Ian, there ain't much to be done now that's going to make much difference, fitness-wise, in Chicago.

I'd run easy miles and see what happens.

Worst comes to worst, it sounds like an injury you could run through in Chicago and then tend to it afterwards.

Massage is not a bad idea either, regardless of whether it works.

Keep posting on how it goes.

seebo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
seebo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ian said...

The Zen of Seebo:

Massage is not a bad idea either, regardless of whether it works.

So true.