Thursday, April 05, 2007

8 easy miles on an out and back course along Kelly Drive last night. Just my iPod and I gliding along the riverbank as the sun set over the trees across the river. The weather has again taken a turn towards the cold and temps were in the mid-40's. The damp and chilly air had a feeling of late fall instead of early spring. Budding flowers on the cherries tress were the only telltale sign that this wasn't the case.

During runs lately my mind consistently wanders (I guess you can't call it wandering if it is always going to specific thought) to race day in Boston just under two weeks away. All of this build up over the last couple years is finally coming to head in a 3 hour stroll from Hopkinton to Boston. It almost feels like I am closing a chapter on my life, as if things will be different afterwards. Not that I think I am going to have some revelation upon crossing the finish line but maybe that this thing I've been doing 5-6 times a week over the past couple years just won't be as important anymore. I like the thought of that.

Early, inaccurate weather forecast for race day. 47, intervals of clouds and sunshine. I'm hoping that he forecasters have it right.

1 comment:

Ingo said...

Well put John! We need a goal that makes us pound the roads over and over again, don't we? I guess you'll be looking forward to your next goal after Boston same as much as you now look forward to releasing all the pressure that has been build up over hundreds of miles of training. Running is cyclical after all but we'll never be able to run away from the fact that we love it too much. Congrats btw on the 5k PB in March - now we have something in common! Good luck in Boston & keep on running, Ingo