Friday, April 13, 2007

Tip Top

I'll tell you what, this taper thing really works.

I went out for an easy run after work, temperature was about 50 and the winds were light. Against my better judgement I hopped on the trails promising myself an easy pace on the flats and an especially easy pace on the technical portions. I don't need any trail running injuries at this point.

I felt like a well oiled machine on my first step out the door and that stuck with me for the four miles. I kept things easy until the very end where I couldn't resist a little sprint up the hill to the finish. 4 miles, untimed. My left calf has been tight at the end of my last two runs this week but there wasn't even a hint of that today.

As usual I feel like I am not doing near enough the last week of taper, I won't even break 20 miles. However, I don't think I have ever felt this good in the final week. Mentally I haven't felt that focused but physically I feel tip top. With a little weather luck I still might be able to pull this sub 3:00 hour thing off. I just have to get my mind into race mode.

No comments: