Friday, April 27, 2007

Sub 14:00 5K

Last night Heather and I headed over to Franklin Field to check out a few events at the Penn Relays. We saw several steeplechase events, a women's 3000 and then the 5000 meter championship for college men and women. The highlight of the evening was definitely the mens 5000 meter championship.

Two runners peeled away from the lead pack in the last couple laps. The leader in the final lap was passed going into the last turn. It looked like the race was over and the guy who got passed was going lose. Suddenly, with about 60 meters to go, the runner who had been passed had an explosion of speed. A surprised and cheering crowd saw him blow by his competitor to edge him out for the win in just under 14 minutes. Wow. A truly inspiring performance. Watching events like that just make you want to run more to improve your own performances.

As for my running... I have only 6 miles on Thursday morning to report. An easy out and back along Kelly Drive. Things started off at 8:00 pace and slowly increased to about 7:20 by the time I finished. I passed Veena, Chris, and Craig on his bike while on Kelly Drive.

The morning running is nice, it's almost like I sneak in a workout. I have my evenings open for whatever I want, including another workout. I tried to get out the door this morning as well, but the sound of thunder when I woke up made for an easy decsion to roll over and go back to bed.

No comments: