Sunday, April 29, 2007

Friday was a planned day off.

Saturday morning I joined the Philly Runners group run for a trip around "The Loop". Easy miles until the Falls Bridge turn around. Raymond and I then picked it up to 7:00 pace for a couple. Raymond commented how this pace was just junk mileage for him, to fast to be easy and to slow to be an interval or tempo pace workout. He was right. We either had to speed it up or slow it down so we did the former. The last couple went by in 6:40 and 6:25. It felt good. 10.5 miles in about 80 minutes.

Sunday I hit the trails in the Wissahickon. I stayed away from the very hilly portions and headed for the flat technical section across from Forbidden Drive. I tried to keep the pace relaxed and easy but it can be difficult for me on the trails. I was hot and sweaty by the time I turned around at Valley Green and looking forward to the water fountain... that was not turned on yet.

What the hell? This has irked me for years about the Fairmount Park system. How hard is it to turn a valve and get the water fountain running? The water fountains seem to sporadically get turned on across the Fairmount Park system. Give me a truck and a wrench and I'd easily have all the water fountains turned on in a single day. Instead we have to play a guessing/hoping game for functioning water fountains. By April 29th I think the chance of freezing and bursting pipes is pretty negligible.

Enough ranting. Finished up the run on Forbidden drive. A little over 8 miles in 65 minutes.

For the week.

34.4 miles running and 17 miles biking.

No comments: