Sunday, May 06, 2007

Broad Street Run

Another year and another Broad Street Run. I have been improving on my times consistently each year. The first, a 1:14 in 2000, to a 61 minute race in 2006. The goal this year was to break 60.

For the first time, I got to the start area with more than 5 minutes to spare and warmed up with Seebo, Steve K, and Ian. It was a windy day but luckily it was blowing the same direction we were headed. Just before the race started I was able to work my way into the seeded area up front and I took off with Steve K at the gun.

The idea was to to run slightly under 6:00 pace for the first 5 miles and then see what happened from there. Steve and I started off well with a 5:55 and I quickly settled into the pace. Running a 10 mile race is never really comfortable and by mile 3 I was feeling it, not struggling but not on autopilot.

The miles went by quickly and before I knew it we were through 5 in about 29:33. Steve and I had built a 27 sec lead on that 60 minute goal. Again, as it was in 2005 & 2006, the second half of the race was more about hanging on to the pace then getting any further ahead. I usually fall off miles 6 through 8 and I was determined not to let that happen this year. I accidentally erased the splits on my watch but I didn't fall off badly during this section. The splits were coming in at, or just slightly slower than 6:00 and I was working for every one of them.

Steve was running a little under his ability and it seemed that he really wanted to push it, but he graciously kept pace with me and helped to pull me through the last few miles. This isn't the first time that someone from Philly Runners has helped me in a large race and it is always greatly appreciated. So with Steve keeping the tempo up we cruised through mile 9 in 6:00 flat. At this point, barring a catastrophe, I knew we were going to go under 60, so I just tried to push to the finish.

We crossed the line at 59:41. SWEEEEET! Sub 60 in this this race is a big milestone for me, close to a 3:00 marathon, and I am just totally amped that I was able to pull it off. After the race I ran into Ian who also had a big PR but missed most of the other Philly Runners. Congrats to all that ran.

2 comments:

seebo said...

Nice to read the story already knowing the happy ending. Welcome to sub 60.

ian said...

Great race, man. In my opinion sub 60 is a lot harder than sub 3. On any given day (in still winds), you would have both.

Scratch that--you WILL have both.