Friday, May 11, 2007

Joined up with a few Philly runners, Ian, Steve K, and Goat for 9 humid miles through Fairmount Park last night. It was warm enough to soak my shirt with sweat by the time we finished but not so warm that it ruined the run.

Things started off at a relaxed pace as we made our way around Memorial Hall and then down the Belmont Plateau onto the fire roads that cut through the park. We were outnumbered by mountain bikers that were constantly popping in and out of the woods on the singletrack trails. We eventually made it to the Strawberry Mansion bridge into East Fairmount Park where the pace picked up to a point that was right on the edge of easy. Returned to the Art Museum for a conservative 9 miles in 69 minutes.

This morning I got up to meet my friend from work, Lee, for a few easy morning miles. He was on my front porch when I stepped out the door and I think I was off and running about 8 minutes after I got out of bed. I am beginning to get into the groove of morning running and starting to enjoy it. Of course this is the easiest time of year to run early with the sun up and the temps cool but you have to start somewhere.

Runners tend to be a lot more friendly in the early morning and the few that we passed on Forbidden Drive all said hello. I saw Veena, a very quick runner who I am fairly sure runs 7-8 hours per day based on how often and where I see her. A little over 5 miles in 42 minutes.

No comments: