Monday, May 14, 2007

I expected to come out of the Boston Marathon burnt out on training. It was my second marathon in 6 months and I wasn't to gung-ho about training for it. I thought these feelings would just be doubled for a marathon this fall and decided to forgo another marathon this year.

In reality, I took a few easy weeks after Boston, ran Broad Street and now I am excited about training again. The thought of endless miles over the summer doesn't seem to bad at this point. Maybe it is a drive to get under 3 hours, maybe it is the improvement I see in friends and wanting to improve my times as well, maybe it's because I really do enjoy lacing up my shoes and getting out there a majority of the time, maybe it's because I have gotten myself this far into it and to turn back now is losing ground. I think the biggest single factor is the possibilities. What can I really do if I commit even more time and energy to already consuming endeavor.

The truth is I am often in a battle with myself over running. I feel that I just do it to much and it sucks up a lot of my time for other things. Family, friends, other sports, sitting on my ass, and Friday nights just to name a few. This has to be balanced with the positives; the great friends and people I have me through running, fitness, the sense of accomplishment you get when you cross the finish line with a PR, just getting outside almost everyday.

So with all this on my mind I think one more summer of heavy training (heavy for me at least) is most likely in the cards.

I mulled all of this over on a 13 miler through the Wissahickon on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. The first 4 miles on Forbidden Drive with Heather to Valley Green where she turned around headed back and then I continued to the top of the park. The water fountain has still not been turned on but I found that the sink in the bathrooms just up the path makes a great alternative.

On the way back I jumped on the trails for a few miles and then back to the main path to finish up in 1:39. My legs felt great and I am beginning to get used to the heat that is has been slowly building this spring.

Sunday I joined a couple friends at the Race for the Cure, a huge 5K in Philadelphia for breast cancer.(the run for boobies) I think they said 1 trillion people attended and we walked a majority of the first half of this 5K. The rest of the way was very easy running as we dodged the crowds. I crossed the finish line in 46 minutes. Nearly a PR. It was nice to be out there for a good cause and pig out on the snacks that Wawa provided afer we finished.


45 miles for the week. A couple more than I was shooting for.

No comments: