Monday, September 03, 2007

Tough Tempo

I wrapped up last week with 4 easy miles on Sunday morning. A couple more than the training planned called for but the extra miles were all easy.

Monday is the start of "Week 11" which turns up the mileage and the speed work.

My goal today was 10 miles with 5 at 15K - half marathon Pace. This translates into 6:08-6:18 pace when I look at race calculators. A tempo run that is not supposed to be broken up into intervals. Start off at the easier end of the pace and try to work my way down with each mile, or so I thought.

My first mistake was a common one for me, pushing off a morning run until later in the day. I was all set to get up at 7:30, get out the door at 8:00 and be home by 9:30 looking for some breakfast. I snoozed till 8:00, laid in bed till 8:30, made a pancake breakfast at 9:00 and digested that with a couple cups of coffee until 11:00, when I finally got out the door. It had warmed up considerably since 8:00 and in the full sun on Kelly drive I was quickly uncomfortable. I should have stuck to the shade of the park.

I warmed up with a couple easy miles, I was cruising along at 7:15 pace and it felt very easy. I had high hopes for a good work out. Got to Strawberry Mansion bridge, clicked the split and I was off. The first mile in 6:13, right on track but I was pushing a little more than I would have liked. Mile 2 in 6:15 and at this point I knew there was no way I was making it 5 miles without stopping. Ran another 1/2 mile to Lloyd Hall in 3:12 and stopped for some water, things weren't going so well.

After a water stop, up to the Art Museum, stretch, and then back to Lloyd Hall were I set out to run the second half of the 5 miles at a slightly slower pace. Mile 1, 6:26, then I stopped. 1/4 mile recovery and the last mile in 6:20. 4.5 miles total at tempo and I was cooked. The last two miles back to my house were a struggle.

Obviously not what I was looking for but the way I was feeling I was glad that I toughed most of it out. So what went wrong?

My legs were plenty rested. Based on workouts and races in the past couple months, I think the pace I set out for is correct. However, at noon on an 85 degree day I should have adjusted the pace accordingly, maybe 10 secs a mile less. I think the second factor was dehydration. I was 147 lbs when I got home, a lot less than then my normal weight, which is currently around 155. I went into this workout a little low and it only got worse as I went along.

Of course I could be wrong about all of this and I just can't handle the pace. I'll find out next week.

No comments: