Friday, June 27, 2008

Taking it Easy

It feels good to be focused on a race again. No actual race picked yet but the idea of a race somewhere in October. A 26.2 mile race. I've added a few more possibles to the list of races: Cape Cod Marathon(this one is put on by Dunkin Donuts. The idea of Dunkin Donuts putting on a marathon is funny but it gives me a good idea of what the post run food will consist of.), Wineglass Marathon (in rural New York, beautiful course and a small field). There were a couple others in the NY/MA/RI area that I was looking into but I can't remmeber them right now. What I need to do is pick and commit. Put the race on my calendar and plan around it, instead of planning the race around other things.

This morning I got up to run for the 3rd time this week. To many this would not be a big deal but for me this is huge. The threat of 94 degree humid weather is a great motivator and I enjoyed the relatively cool morning for 5+ miles through the Wissahickon in 42 minutes. My average pace has been hanging out in the 8+ range for the past couple weeks.

I don't feel bad during the runs but this just seems to be the pace that my legs are willing to do right now. In fact, for June my average easy pace is 8:09. Maybe I am finally learning to go slow on easy days. The thing is if you are going to go that slow on the easy days you have to work hard on the hard days and for that to happen you need to actually have hard days in your training. This is something I'll have to work on.

No comments: