Sunday, June 08, 2008

Wissahickon Trail Classic

Before a I get into a race report, just a few details about the week.

The week was filled with mostly easy runs with the exception of a tempoish workout on Tuesday. 3.5 miles in 22:30 or 6:26 pace. A little under my tempo and that is about how it felt, controlled hard. I was really just giving the legs a stretch and testing my skills at pace guessing after so many miles on the trails.

Race day was Saturday morning. Ryan took the train out to my neck of the woods to join me for the race. It was hot. Like mid-July in early June. Hot enough to make me sweat just sitting around. It was going to be an extra fun race.

It was quick run to the start and after 20 minutes Ryan and I were signing up and getting our numbers. I tried not to drip sweat all over the form as I filled it out. We had a bit of time and relaxed in the shade before race time. We glanced over the course map before the run and I was able to envision the race. It started with a big hill and ended with a big hill. My plan was to take it easy on the first hill and then pick it up. Prior to the race I really thought I had a chance at placing in the top 10.

First hill went as planned but at the top was a lot of singletrack and I was stuck in a long line of runners moving at a decent pace. I wanted to pick things up and was eventually able to get ahead of this pack and open up some running space. I figured I was in 20th place at this point. Down a long hill, up a bridge across the creek then up a hill on the other side. We were about 15 minutes in and I was hurting more than I thought I should be at this point. Thinking back this was about the point I just started to hold on. I kept hoping things would smooth out and I could make few attacks to try and get ahead of some runners but in reality I was the one getting passed.

Back up another long climb and now it took a lot not to walk. I thought I'd have an advantage with my knowledge of the trails but the way I was feeling I could put that info to work. The race eventually dipped back onto flat Forbidden Drive for a 1/2 mile and the people in front me pulled away the entire time.

The last hill was more brutal that I had imagined and I walked... a lot. We crested the hill and I knew the remainder was a long descent. I pushed the pace I was able to pass two runners and finish in 45:04.

With the hilly terrain and no mile splits it is tough to gauge your performance in a trail race. The only thing you can really do is compare your race against others that you know. In this regard, I didn't do to well. A few guys I know from the Wanderers that race my pace were up to two minutes ahead of me. Maybe the heat took a toll on me, maybe it just wasn't a good day or maybe these guys just hold back on the smaller trail races.

It was still a fun race and I had a good time. Ryan raced well and seemed to enjoy it too. After cooling down, eating some oranges and a slice of pizza, Ryan and I took a very slow, hot run home. A good way to start the weekend.

For the week. 47 miles running and a 14 mile bike ride.

1 comment:

Runner's Anonymous said...

I guess it's all relative. From where I sit your time looks pretty good! I finished in 1 hr 4 min and change according to the race clock. This was my first time on this course. If I had your knowledge of the trail I'd have pushed the pace a lot more. I've run two Ron Horn trail runs this year and there always seems to be" yet another hill" in his courses. Oh well, I'll know better for next year. I know you're not too happy with your time but congrats just the same!