Monday, November 03, 2008

I took an extended "Phillies Hiatus" from running last week. So Mon-Fri were DNRs. I happily watched the World Series every night, drank far to many beers, and generally was a sloth for the week. My hard work paid off with a Phillies WS win!!!!!!! I made it down to an extremely packed Phillies Parade on Friday afternoon and then a Haloween party on Friday night where the celebration continued.

By Saturday I finally had that all out of my system and got out in the afternoon for an easy 6 miles in the Wissahickon. 48 minutes.

Sunday I had the single most exciting training run of my life although nothing of note really happened with my running.

I was putting in another easy run and had just gotten to the top of Forbidden Drive onto Northwest Avenue. My plan was to go up to Germantown ave but that didn't happen. I heard a screech of tires in the distance and in a cloud of tire smoke I saw a minivan smash into a car waiting for the light at Germantown Avenue. That initially was shocking but then the driver hopped out and starting running across Germantown Avenue into the park. This was immediately followed by three cops pulling up behind the accident. This guy was obviously on the run from something and the cops had not seen him run into the park.

I made a quick right back into the park and starting running through some fields after this guy. He was far off but I was quickly gaining and then thought "What the hell am I going to do if I catch him?". I decided to get a quick look at where he was headed and then try and grab a cop. I caught up with a cop that was sitting at the top of Forbidden Drive and told him where the guy was. He jumped out of the car and we set off down Forbidden Drive. Some walkers said they had seen him splash out of the creek, up the embankment, over the guard fence, across Forbidden Drive and clamber up the steep hill above us. I glanced up and found him near the top, exhausted, picking his way through the rocks and trees. The cop and some other guy with a gun, who I am assuming was off-duty, headed off after him. I couldn't see much but I heard them yelling at him to lay down and then silence. I assumed he was caught.

I continue on my run down Forbidden Drive, I get to the Bells Mill street crossing and here comes the same guy back down the hill. He had somehow eluded his pursuers and now was only feet away from me. I dialed 911, and the guy ducked behind a large boulder. I told them where he was and after getting switched around a bit on the phone they finally got someone on the line that new the area. By this time more cops had pulled up and were searching but the guy had escaped. I was pissed that I hadn't seen where he went, he was nowhere to be found. I did a little more running in the area to try and spot him but no luck. I still don't know what he was running for but I sure as hell hope they got him. 7 miles in 55 minutes, with some unexpected sprints.

Monday - got up and out before work for an easy 4.3 miles. Overcast and cool, great running weather. 33 minutes.

No comments: