Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Seebo, Ian, Stevus, Alex and the new guy took a break from the normal Tuesday night PR group route and headed up into Fairmount park in the rain. Things started slow but the pace steadily increased until were at about 7:00 min/mile clip for the last few.

I was a little tight at first and things just didn't feel right but by mile 4 the kinks had worked themselves out and I felt great. 7 miles in 50 minutes.

Tonight I hope to do a flood run. Here is a quote from a local news website. "The flooding has the potential to put the Schuylkill River at one of its highest levels in Philadelphia in 125 years. In Philadelphia, the flood stage is 11 feet. It could rise to 14.5 feet by Wednesday afternoon into Thursday. Its highest recorded level is 17 feet. Manayunk will be directly affected by this event. A crest at that predicted level would match levels seen by Hurricane Agnes and Floyd in Philadelphia"

I'll have to get down to Main Street Manyunk, or at least as close as I can get, to check out this event. The flooding from hurricane Floyd in 1998 was unbelievable. I am a bit of a weather geek and when things like this happen I can't help but be amazed. I also can't help but feel horrible for all the store owners along Main Street that are going to be effecetd. I imagine it will be several feet deep in some of the low lying stores.

A good portion of Kelly Drive will become part of the Schuylkill river so I think a loop will be out of the question too. Check it out if you get the chance.



No comments: