Thursday, June 29, 2006

F L O O D

The flood turned out not to be as bad as was expected yesterday morning but it was still a site to see. I headed out for about 6 miles on an unknown route that would keep me close to the Schuylkill River.

There wasn't really any horrendous flooding but it was cool to see the river in a brown boiling rage as it ducked under the Green Lane Bridge. Portions of Main Street were covered with water but I think most of the businesses escaped unharmed. I headed down Ridge avenue, which was a traffic nightmare, to the Falls River Bridge and checked out the flooding on Kelly Drive. It really was not as bad as I had imagined, or I guess as I had hoped.

I hopped over to MLK and was able to run a 1/2 mile before hitting some water blocking the street. I could have gone around it on the grass but decided to turn around and head home to keep things at 6 miles in 46 minutes.

The run was hot and sweaty. A traffic cop on the way back told me I must be in good shape to be running in this heat. I thought to myself "Yeah I guess I am in decent shape but I sure as hell don't feel like it right now". I just wanted to get the run over with and get out of the heat. The accumulation of miles over the last 4 days and a slight cold combined to make a pretty shitty run depsite the flooded scenery. Everything, especially my legs, feels much better this morning and I should be on track for about 10 miles tonight.

No comments: