Tuesday, June 27, 2006

So it Begins.....

I guess you could say my marathon training officially started yesterday with a 10 miler out through Roxborough on a warm rainy afternoon. There is no definite plan as of yet just mileage goals for the weeks bewteen now and October 22nd. This weeks goal is 55 miles with some faster stuff coming mid-week. If I hit my goal mileage this week it will mean that my first week of marathon training this year is more miles than my peak week of marathon training last year.

The thought that I am now officially in training also changes other things. I'll be looking at what I eat a little more carefully, making sure I get the stuff I need in addition to the treats that will keep the calories up. I'll also make more of an effort to get enough sleep each night, or as often as I can. And now that the heat is on I'll have to keep drinking water to keep dehydration at bay. You can train much better if your well fed, rested, and hydrated. I just hope this initial enthusiasm doesn't wane during a long hot summer.

The run was uneventful. I was at first cursing the rain and humidity but half-way through I decided that I'll take 75 rainy and humid over 85 sunny and humid any day. Things felt good start to finish and I came in at 1hr 16minutes, just about exactly where I expected when I started my run.

No comments: