Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I missed a run on Friday, the world cup in the morning along with a errands and a movie in the afternoon left me totally unmotivated so I decided to skip it.

Saturday morning I was able to get out of bed, put on my shoes, and go for a long run. Someyhing I haven't ever done before. I didn't think I was able to forgoe coffee and a few pieces of toast before 15 miles but Saturday changed my mind. A trip up the bloody nipple and led to some trail running in the Farimount and then West River Drive.

I met up with the running group at 9:30 with 72 minutes and over 9 miles under my belt. There were a few faces I knew and I few I didn't. Altogther not a good crowd on a hot sunny Saturday morning but I fell into a easy pace with a couple guys, Jeff and Rob, that I hadn't met before.

Talk was light as we went back up West River and I parted ways after crossing the Falls Bridge. Anotehr mile back to my house and I finished 14.5 in 1hr 54 if memory serves me right. A decent run. If felt good at the finish and the rest of teh day felt great.

Sunday night was 7.5 miles with Heather in an hour flat. Luckily we waited till after that nasty thunderstorm blew through and the temperatures had gone down a couple notches. A loop through Roxborough and Manayunk that include a few decent hills. My legs were a little tired but nothing was really sore.

Monday was hot and steamy. I have been doing a lot of work around the house all weekend and I waited till I completed painting my living room and dining room ceilings before heading out at 6:30. It was HOT. Not blistering hot like at noon but that sticky hot that occurs after the temps go down a bit and the humidity goes up. I slugged tons of water on a 10 mile out and back route along forbidden drive. The first 6-7 miles felt great at around 7:00 pace although I was trying to go slower. The heat took it's toll and slowed me down for the last few miles. All of a sudden I was running 8 minute miles and I felt liek I hadn't slowed down. Probably for the best.

First week of training down, 54 miles, mostly at an easy pace with a few marathon pace miles. I was planning 50-55 miles so ths was perfect. My biggest mileage week ever and things feel good, a little tight but nothing is really hurting.

2 comments:

seebo said...

Great job w/ the 54. Keep up the mileage and your times will go down.

ian said...

Nice work, John. Keep it up!