Monday, July 10, 2006

G5Kizzy

Sunday morning I jumped out of bed to participate in the second annual Guerilla 5K. A wonderful race put on by some guy in the local running scene. A beautiful sunny morning and a lot of good running friends made a great race.

I had no warm up and a lot of miles earlier in the week so I decided to take it easy during the race, especially the first mile. I hung a little behind the leaders, Steve, Steve and.... Steve, for the first mile and surprisngly I felt good so I pushed it as we approached the Mann Center. Up over South Georges where I was actually able to pass Steke K. I think a lot of miles and a soccer game the night before combined to give me a fighting chance of beating him.

With about 1.5 miles to go I decided that I just wanted to try and hold onto third place. I quickened my step on the downhill back towards Belmont and tried to make it as hard as I could for Steve to pass me. Luckily I was able to hold on, we made the turn back onto North Concourse and I could see the finish in the distance. Stevus and Seebo were finishing together up ahead, hand in hand. I came in a little behind in about 19:08. A good race made even better by an excellent t-shirt and Mardi Gras beads also supplied by some guy.

The morning was capped by a trip to Jim's for breakfast, Tour de France and some good Banter between runners.

As for the rest of the weekend....

Friday was an easy 6, out and back on the Manayunk Towpath. I think it was about 49 minutes, nothing special about the run, just putting in some easy miles.

Saturday I debated getting up earlier and meeting up with some folk for a morning trip around Fairmount Park but my urge to sleep in won and I delayed my run till afternoon. 11 miles up and down Forbidden Drive in 72 minutes. A bit faster than I expected to go but I was cruising along easily at the pace so I stuck with it.

Sunday was the G5K and a 7.5 miler in the evening with Heather. My first real "2 a day". I hadn't planned it but I needed 2 miles more to hit my weekly goal and my legs felt fine so I went for a few more. 7.5 miles in 64 minutes.

Total for the week was 60. Marathon training is going about as well as I could have hoped at the end of week 2. It's still very early. I hope it keeps up.

1 comment:

seebo said...

good job on the 60 mile week.

keep it up and wonderful things will happen!