Monday, July 31, 2006

I didn't post over the weekend because my cable company, Urban Cableworks, is staffed by inept fools who don't understand that my builiding is a duplex after about 75 explanations and repeated problems. Comcast is taking them over and I never thought I would say this but I can't wait to have Comcast as my cable company.

Anyhow, my runs...

Friday was an easy 4 miles around Manayunk in the afternoon heat. 4 miels in 32 minutes. Just wanted to get a run done for the day.

Saturday was the first real long run of my marathon training. When I woke up Saturday morning I still had no idea of the route I was going to take. Wiss Park? Kelly Drive? Fairmount Park?

My first decision was Kelly Drive to hopefully meet up with the group as they made their turn at Falls Bridge. I went a 1/2 mile down Kelly towards the bridge in the full early morning July sun. I decided it was ridiculous to try and run on the drive in this heat when I had a perfectly cool Wissahickon Park to run through so I tured it around and headed back to the park.

The plan was 7.5 easy miles to the top of the park and then to pick it up some for the remainder of the run. I kept a steady 8:00 pace until Valley Green where I ran into the halfway turn around point of a race. The Chesnut Hill "Run for the Hill of It".

Suddenly I was surrounded by 100's of runners all running a slightly slower pace than I was doing. I slowly weaved my way through the crowds enjoying the chance to pass people on my long run and I was still actually able to hold my pace. As I approached the top of the park and the end of the race I had fans cheering me on telling me to "keep it up", "just a little further".

I crossed the finish mat for the race and started turning around. I was quickly yelled at and told I needed to turn in my chip. "I'm not in the Race" I yelled back and continued on my way to a few chuckles from the crowd.

From here I quickened my pace to near marathon pace at 7:20, feeling pretty good I kept this pace up for a mile and half back to Valley Green. The remaineder of the run consisted of another easy mile at 8:00 pace and then 3.5 miles at sub 7:00 pace. I ended with a mile easy. 16 miles in exactly 2 hours. Overall a great run.

I was ecstatic that I was able to push the pace in my long run, especially in the heat. I don't plan on running hard in all long runs but I really feel it is a piece I need to add to my tranining this year to give me more confidence and fitness for the marathon.

Sunday my legs were feeling great. I have added a good bit of stretching post runs and I think this has helped me feel a little looser the days after hard workouts.

I still kept it very easy on my run. 5 miles in 42 minutes on a mix of trail and Forbidden Drive in the park.

64 miles for the week.

No comments: