Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The forecaset for the week is to start hot and then get hotter. So I decided to head to the track last night while at 89 degrees it was still relatively cool.

Two mile warm up to Roxborough Track, there was a good crowd goign around which graciuosly stayed on the outside lanes while I did my workout. I can't help but size up the other runners while I am out there. This track doesn't usually have to many quick runners and last night was no exception.

The plan was 800's until I was really uncomfortable, with the heat last night I was thinking 5. I am still a total novice on the track and I can't seem to string togtether a month were I make a few trips there which would allow me improve a bit so it is always like starting from scratch. I wanted to run at 5K pace or just a little under. I was going to shoot for 5:50 miles or about 2:55 for an 800. My math skills and my running were not really up to speed last night and for some reason I was going for 2:40's.

I hit the first one in 2:40 and thought I couldn't imagine one more let alone 4 more. I decided to drop down 400's in 1:20. I nailed 5 of them but on lap 6 I just couldn't keep it up. It was hot, I was sweating ridiculously, I didn't feel like hurting anything so I stopped at that.

It wasn't until I got few easy miles under mile belt on the way home that I realized I was running a bit to fast. If I had slowed down to what I initially expected to run I am sure I could have squeezed out a few more but I still am happy, I at least got out there. On a night like last night that was good enough for me. A little over 9 miles in 68 minutes.

I really would like to make at least bi-weekly trips to the track. The weather will get cooler, I'll get fitter and my times and reps will improve. At least that is the plan. I may even start to enjoy it at some point... but probably not.

252 miles for July, the most yet.

No comments: