Wednesday, August 02, 2006

F U Heat

Goddamn it is hot. This is record heat, kill 100 people in California last week heat, cause the highway to buckle heat, record electricty usage heat, hasn't reached 100 since August 9th, 2001 heat. It is supposed to reach 103 degrees today and in my head I think of anything above about 90 degrees as about the same, hot, but it isn't really true. 93 to 103 is a 10 degree jump. A 10 degree jump from 80 to 90 is from a fair day to a hot day. A jump from 30 to 40 is a snow storm to nasty cold rain. So a jump from say a 93 degree day to a 103 degree is substantial and it really makes for some horrible running.

Ian and I went off into Fairmount Park last night to hopefully escape the heat in the shade of the park. I am sure it was a little cooler than a trip up and down the drives but the heat still got us. It was there, laughing at me for thinking I could escape it, surrounding me in a cocoon that I couldn't shake no matter where I ran, pressing down on me when I stopped for a breather making me wish I had just kept going.

I only made it 42 minutes and probably a little over 5.5 miles. Tonight will be more of the same, if not worse. Maybe I will setup my treadmill in my cool air-conditioned living room and give the finger to the heat through the window as I sip an iced tea and listen to my iPod. (which I cannot take out in this heat because I sweat so badly and I am afraid that I will fry it).

Most likely though I will wait until later, 8:00-8:30, try to escape the worst of it and curse it as I run and drip through the streets Roxborough. It can't last forever.

No comments: